The Mistake



The massive headphones created an arc on his youthful head that obscured and became part of his face.  On Skype, it was hard to tell where his dark hair began and the headphones ended.  Only the worried brow revealed his true feelings. 

“My wife thinks she’s coming to live with me in New York next month.”   He whispered this, to be sure nobody else could hear.  To be fair, he was sitting in a cubicle in a crowded office and of course he wanted to keep this conversation private.  “I’ve already quit this job and my new one starts in three weeks.  We can’t live in Paris any more. I gave notice on the apartment.” 

His cell phone rang.  “Bonjour mon amour.  I’m just talking now to the lawyer about your green card.  No, everything’s fine.  Just a few final details.”

He hung up and paused, not knowing what to say next. 

“So, you haven’t told her yet?” I asked.  

Sometimes it's a challenge for an immigration lawyer like me to get the whole story from a client.  They tell you the parts that they think will help their cases, and leave out the bits that are painful.  That’s why I’m careful when I agree to do a green card for a married couple.  I want to talk to BOTH the husband and the wife for this kind of case. Two perspectives, two truths, create a stronger case. 

“No, she’s too busy for this.  And I didn’t want her to know that our wedding has completely screwed up our plans.”

“It’s too bad,”  I said.  “Your fiancé visa for her was just about finished.  She would have been on the plane with you next week if you hadn’t rushed off to get married.  A married couple can’t get a fiancé visa. Now she’ll have to wait in Paris for maybe a year.”

“I know that.”  His vitality of 25 years sapped out of him as he faced the first real problem he’d ever known.    “I just thought it wouldn’t matter”.

Fortunately, we could find a solution. 



PLEASE LET ME HEAR FROM YOU.

Name

Email *

Message *