The end of DOMA?



By Bob Bragar

On June 26, 2013, I was given a new freedom 
and didn't know what do with it.

DOMA abruptly died --
at least the part of it that for decades
had forced me to live abroad
choosing the man I love in Amsterdam
over the life I loved in New York.

After years of struggling to bring DOMA down   
while at the same time not quite letting myself
miss America
or want too badly to go home
-- because I couldn’t, not with my Dutch husband --
I found it hard to let the news sink in.

Minutes after the Supreme Court’s beautiful words
declared gay people worthy of equal protection,
text messages from New York
started cluttering my cell phone in Amsterdam.

“Congratulations!“
“Now you can come home!”
and “Does this mean we will see more of you?”

The surges of celebration
just made me tired.
What would really change?
My life now is here, not there.

I answered churlishly
“It ain’t over yet” and
“The devil is in the details.”

Only one dear friend said, “You’re being crazy.  It’s really over. 
Why aren’t you happy?”

J’accuse is much easier
than j’arrive.

At 61 I’m just too old.  It’s come too late.

I’ve paid the price of second-class citizenship.
No refunds are offered, just a coupon for future discounts
on a garment that no longer fits.

I already paid the absurd inheritance tax
-- much more than Edie Windsor’s --
when my former partner died.
And for years now
my Dutch husband and I have suffered
the indignities of snide immigration officials
at Kennedy Airport
who implicitly questioned our right
to visit my country.

Two decades ago when I met the Dutch man
who would become my husband
Holland welcomed us; America did not.

I’ve created a new life,
learned a new language,
found a new career in a friendly refuge.

Altruism was never really my motive.
I’m not so fine. 
For me the political battle to end DOMA
was a personal one;    
I was fighting for my own rights
and self-respect
as a gay American with a non-American partner.

Nonetheless, we now enjoy the triumph
of full-fledged citizenship. 
There are fights still to be fought
but the Supreme Court has given us a valuable tool. 

The lasting fruits of this victory, of course,
are for younger generations than ours.
For them, DOMA is dead and buried,
and the doors of opportunity
have been flung wide open.

PLEASE LET ME HEAR FROM YOU.

Name

Email *

Message *