15 October 2006

About writing



Uncle Phil in Mexico shouted into the phone “WRITE FIVE MINUTES EVERY DAY”
And “EVERYBODY’S BUSY – I KNOW YOU WORK HARD
BUT WRITE AND YOU’LL BE AMAZED
AT WHAT COMES OUT”

Maybe.

my desire to express – literally, to push things out -
mixes with a desire for recognition (love?) and
leads to ---- not very much

words on a computer screen

if a tree falls in the woods, and nobody hears it, did it fall?

Phil and his beloved Carlota are both
Artists

and think I have an ability
to write
a gift, they said

in truth, I think so too
but it also seems that my cynicism – maybe anger
overcomes sometimes and gives a tone that puts people off

the new yorker’s most à propos cartoon featured a
wife who consoles her despondent husband by saying
“MAYBE THE REASON NOBODY READS YOUR BLOG IS BECAUSE
IT’S ABOUT YOU?”

is art unvalued? do only prestige and recognition
count?

that’s like asking – is humanity valued?
more in the breach

the love of words is
an escape from harsh testosterone-driven reality
to a more androgenous world where details matter and nuance counts

with my closest colleague – simone – I share a love of grammar and translation
that rises above the content we consider.
these are the ties that bind.

PLEASE LET ME HEAR FROM YOU.

Name

Email *

Message *